As a member of TxCSJ, you will...
- Appreciate how oppressive societal issues and institutions affect the emotional and behavioral well-being of all individuals, particularly our clients. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. " - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Identify the specific issues plaguing Texans and ensure the division represents those that are important to you. "In every community there is work to be done. In every nation there are wounds to heal. In every heart there is power to do it." - Marianne Williamson
- Raise awareness of these matters for all counselors in Texas. "Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home - so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world ... Such are the places where every man, woman and child seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity without discrimination. Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere. " - Eleanor Roosevelt
- Learn how to advocate at the larger societal level for your clients. "You must be the change you want to see in the world. " - Mohandas Gandhi
- Raise your voice to take an organized position against injustice. "Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
- Play an active role in opposition of violations against humanity instead of feeling helpless and doing nothing. "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. " - Anne Franke?
- Eradicate the apathy that results in maintenance of the status quo. "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." -Desmond Tutu
- Illuminate the challenges and strengths of individuals living in the shadow of -isms: classism, ageism, racism, heterosexualism, ableism, sexism, and imperialism. "I think we have to own the fears that we have of each other, and then, in some practical way, some daily way, figure out how to see people differently than the way we were brought up to. " - Alice Walker
- Believe in your power as a social change agent. "You really can change the world if you care enough." - Marian Wright Edelman?
- Participate in making social justice in Texas a reality. "Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. " - Harriet Tubman
| ||Join Today|